CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

On my mind.......

So have you ever had one of those mornings where you have a million things on your mind and it TOTALLY interrupts your sleep? Welcome to my morning! I have been reading some new books and trying to implement some new things into my life and routine so that I can become better equipped to share the good news with others. Most of my life I have sat back and let other people do the work. You know, the "qualified" people. The "good" people. The "chosen" people. I never felt like that was my calling. Why would anyone want to listen to me? Even if they wanted to why should they? I am a sinner. I have a list of faults that go on and on and on. Let's see: I am sometimes jealous of what other people have, I am insecure, I worry what other people think about me, I love to hear the latest gossip, I sometimes talk about other people, I judge other people, my priorities are often out of line, I depend on my husband way too much, I am quick to anger and quick to speak, my attitude stinks, I am not the best wife, mother, daughter, sister, or friend, and I put my desires ahead of His desires. I could really go on and on (but for the sake of not completely ruining my self esteem this morning I will stop, hahahaha).
You see, we live in a society where people hold "Christians" to a different standard. If you profess your love and belief in Christ and try to go out to be salt and light to this world then others expect all of those nasty qualities and habits to disappear. Christians are often expected to live differently. "Did you hear him cussing at that football game? I thought he was a Christian!" "Did you hear what _______ said about ______? I thought she was a Christian!" God created all of us (people) the same. He put us all into a world filled with temptation. We are driven by money, status, sports, clothes, Hollywood ideals, fitting in, etc. Christians will sin just like non-believers will sin. Now, I'm not justifying sin. All of those bad qualities I listed about myself are things I am working to change. But will I ever live a life free from sin? Probably not in this lifetime. Does it mean I am not a daughter of the king, a bride of Christ, a princess warrior? NOPE! It means I am human. It means that Christ came and died for ME so I can have eternal life with HIM!
I am learning that we are all called to minister to the world. Not just the pastors, priests, nuns, missionaries, deacons, etc. ALL OF US! And guess what, those people I just listed: they are just people. Just like me and just like you. They are going to sin. They are going to have bad days. But they have a special calling. They put themselves on the front line every day. It's what they do for a living. Even other Christians forget this fact sometimes and hold them to a different standard. These men and women serve the Lord and want to be a vessel in this broken world. Instead of judging them or making assumptions when you don't have all the facts: support them. When we start turning on each other the devil starts to win.
I don't really know the BOLD statement I was probably attempting to make when I started this entry. This is just what the Lord has on my heart this morning. I am nowhere near perfect. My life has changed a lot since January of 2010 and I hope that it continues to keep changing for the Lord. I want to show others the love Christ extended to me. I want to help non-believers become believers so that we can kick it in eternity together. You see what I really want people to know is that if God loves me (nasty, stinky, sinful me) then He deifinitly loves you. He wants to know you and have a relationship with you.
My motto this week: I will be still and know you are God.
My readings this week: the book of Esther (Bible), Forgotten God (Francis Chan), Jesus Calling (daily devotions: Sarah Young), and Esther: It's Tough being a Woman (Beth Moore study)
My prayer this week: Lord I ask that you calm my spirit when the days get hectic and gently remind me that You are God. Help me to rest in your presence and just breathe in the Holy Spirit. Help me continue to work on my nasty habits so that others will see you work through me.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny D.,
    Got to this blog via facebook. Sep 20 entry is pretty motivating. Just what I needed as I'm trying to understand what I can teach at sunday school (High School kids) this upcoming sunday. Might be something related to this passage: "These men and women serve the Lord and want to be a vessel in this broken world. Instead of judging them or making assumptions when you don't have all the facts: support them." So you see, your musings did have an impact and no idea where it might lead...
    Blake

    ReplyDelete