CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My poor baby

The past 24 hours have been wild!  
History: we have been testing different formulas with Isabella since she was born. She is mostly a happy and calm baby but feeding time has been quite a challenge. Through the weeks it has progressively gotten worse but she was finally gaining weight so we thought things were looking up. Boy were we wrong. 
Yesterday I took her to the doctor for a weigh in. 8oz in 8 days. Good news!  I had some concerns with the excessive amount of poop coming from this tiny person so I shared with the nurse. I also had her watch me feed her. She has been on Zantac for reflux and while the spitting up had greatly improved she would still shake her head and thrust her tongue to resist feedings. I was sent home with a list of instructions for feedings and scheduled to return in a week. As soon as we got home sweet pea started screaming and pooping. This time her poop was mixed with bloody mucus. (Insert mommy freak out). Called doc and was told to monitor diapers over next 24 hours. Of course this time it took her 7 hours to poop again. At 11pm the bottom fell out. She ate, she screamed, she pooped more blood, she screamed and screamed all through the night. I think I slept a total of 90 minutes. At 630am mike left for work with baby and mommy finally sleeping. 10 minutes later he was headed back home to a sobbing wife and daughter.  I desperately needed sleep and she needed comfort. I was not much comfort. I slept for 4 hours and woke up feeling a bit refreshed (it doesn't take much but I have to have some sleep). I opened the door and heard the screaming. I immediately called her pediatrician and we went in. He ran a test on her bm's that tested positive for blood so the diagnosis is colitis (an allergy to the protein in milk). So we have switched to soy and she is changing from Zantac to Prevacid for the reflux. 
I could tell a difference by her second soy bottle today. She quit fighting, did not instantly poop and her stomach was not making crazy noises. 
And for now she is resting peacefully. 
Thank you to all my mighty prayer warriors for your love and support today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment