CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 3, 2014

WHOA!


There are those days as a stay at home mom where all the stars align and things go pretty smoothly. The kids sleep well, my toddler doesn't complain or talk back, everyone is happy and we make a lot of great memories. TODAY WAS NOT ONE OF THOSE DAYS! I only share this because one day my kids will look back at our blog book and I want them to know that they were not perfect. hahahahaha! And neither was I (of course they will already know that part). It never fails: a weekend comes that Mike doesn't have to work so he picks up night duty so I can catch up. Deep down inside I may or may not secretly wish that he had to pull one of those all nighters that always result in our toddler waking up too early. Of course it never happens. Baby sleeps like the angel she mostly is and toddler sleeps until 10am. Then Sunday night rolls around. I feed the baby her bedtime feeding at 1030 and then the bottom falls out. Her stomach gets upset and we go on a 4 hour screaming frenzy. We both finally cry ourselves to sleep at 2am only to wake up an hour later for a 3am feeding. During the feeding and screaming a toddler stumbles down the hall and climbs in to our bed always on my side. Once baby is fed, burped, propped up for fifteen minutes (thank you reflux), diaper changed and re-swaddled I stumble back to bed only to find Isaiah in my spot. I gently try to move him without waking him and look at the clock. 4am! Two hours later Mike's alarm goes off and he hits snooze what seems like 25 times (this is not truth just perception). Of course baby wakes up and wants to eat and toddler wakes up. Most mornings this is the time toddler comes down to our room from his and we can give him milk and he will go back to sleep with me. But for these kind of mornings that is NOT the case. Toddler is wide awake. "WAKED UP MOMMY THE SUN IS UP". I try my best to quiet him so that he doesn't disturb the baby. Finish up her feeding and get her back to sleep. Toddler is not having it. DAY ON! I head down stairs only desiring an extra large cup of coffee under my blanket for ten, no five, minutes while I wake up. Where are the toothpicks that will hold my eyes open all day? Before I can hit the button on the coffee I hear little feet behind me and a small voice asking for waffles. So I make waffles, get out a blanket for him, turn on a cartoon and discuss the snow that fell over night. Toddler is taken care of. Off to the coffee. Oh, what's that I hear? A screaming baby upstairs? Up the stairs I go. Diaper full of diarrhea and an incredibly painful diaper rash. Calm baby. Grab her blanket and head downstairs to her swing and my coffee maker. Baby is taken care of. Toddler done eating now. "MOMMY LET'S PLAY". I promise him an alphabet treasure hunt as soon as I make my coffee. SO much for the five minutes under the blanket but as long as I get my coffee! Coffee in hand and letter hunt begins. Baby swings. All is right in the world for about 15 minutes. Then toddler begins barking demands, not taking care of his game pieces and talking back. Enter discipline and meltdown. After a spanking and a timeout toddler wants to paint. I get out all his paint stuff. He asks to paint a cross. I paint the outline and let him loose with the paint. Now to return the three phone calls I have already missed and make some breakfast. One phone call returned and I head to kitchen to cook an egg. Baby starts crying. Time for her to eat again. Forget the egg, cold yogurt it shall be. Make bottle and feed baby. Feeding ends and more diarrhea begins. Begin more inconsolable screaming. Change diaper and apply triple paste. Finally calm baby and put down for tummy time. Toddler wants to build blocks. We clean up the paint and out come the 3000 legos. We build a house as baby has tummy time next to us. Baby spits up half her bottle and rolls her head and face in it. Off to the bath we go. ON the way up toddler remembers that is snowed and wants to go play in the snow. Give baby a bath and redress her. Pull out the snow gear for toddler and help him get dressed. Get baby back to sleep in swing. Off to the snow we go. COme back in, strip off and hang up wet cold clothes. Change clothes again. Build a pallet for toddler, make his lunch and turn on a movie for him. Go to make my lunch. SIt down to eat my lunch. Two bites in baby starts screaming and pooping again! Put food down. Head upstairs for another changing. Call pediatrician. Head back down to my now cold lunch. Toddler is done eating and is now ready for more play time. By now the fun mommy has disappeared and crazy mommy has stepped in. I tell him he will be playing alone for the next bit. He can finish watching his movie or play with any of his 2 billion toys but I will be tending to baby. After some whining and pleading I send him to bed. Give him a book and basically threaten him. "You will read this book and go to sleep or I will be back in with the belt" hahahaha! After 30 minutes he crashes. Ahhhhh now I can nap. Guess who wants to eat again? Oh and now you want to play? OK! More tummy time and an air out session for diaper rash. One hour later baby is ready to sleep. Run downstairs to get a milk ready for toddler when he wakes up and unload and reload the dishwasher. Swap out laundry. Crash in to bed! WE SLEPT AND SLEPT AND SLEPT! It felt so good! Two hours later toddler comes to my room and leaps in to bed ready to play. Baby wakes up and wants to eat. Feed baby while toddler has milk and watches a cartoon. Burp baby. CHange baby. Head downstairs and build the ultimate blanket fort for toddler. Make a snack for toddler to have in fort. Grab a diet coke and respond to two text messages and an email. Mike comes home. Serve up dinner. Finish laundry and clean house. Is it bed time yet?
At the end of the day I will finally take a shower, put on a spit up free shirt and thank God for these two sweet faces. Even though I may or may not have hidden in a closet for a quick cry and scream today, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I promise not to share another day like this but I must say I impressed myself today. Through all the chores and feedings and diaper changings we still managed to have some fun. Well at least Isaiah did and that's really what matters most!  I will always try my best to put on a smile and make sweet memories with him even if I am crying on the inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment