CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pondering


Michael and I started our birthing classes last week. I have really enjoyed the time we are spending together learning more about the event we are so looking forward to, the birth of Mr. Isaiah! I found out a month ago that I would not be able to have an epidural due to the back surgery I had in 97' (L3 L4 fusion). I was leaning towards not having one anyways but I wanted to be the one to make the decision. So my primary focus in class has been to learn about positions that aid in birthing and mostly how to relax.
We have been working on some relaxation techniques and have been encouraged to find things that relax us. I know while waiting for contractions that I will be using my sudoku book and probably a deck of cards. I also love music. Jason Mraz and Jack Johnson are two of my favorites for relaxing. If you have any other suggesstions let me know. For me the music has to have words or my mind starts to wander. Gotta keep focus! My personal favorite so far is MASSAGE! I think Isaiah also enjoyed this as he went on a four hour marathon after Michael finished "practicing". We get more in to positioning next week and I totally look forward to looking like a fool as we practice the positions. hahaha!
Last night something was brought to my attention that I had never thought of. This is where I really could use some feedback. Our instructor mentioned getting a Dula (professional birthing coach) or having another support person in the room. I believe that everyone's birthing experience is different and unique. It is not my right to say what is right or wrong for a birth so that is NOT my intention. I have always felt, for myself and my experience, that I wanted it to just be Michael and me in the room. He is my support person and just what I need. For me this can be an intimate time as two parents welcome their creation into the world. It has never crossed my mind to introduce anyone else into this process....until last night. Our instructor made some valid points and stressed that your main support person can remain your main person but that having someone else can help. She felt that if your spouse was the only one to support you and didn't support you the way you envisioned that in the emotional state the mother could get angry or upset. In the case of a long labor and delivery your main support person will also need a break (sleep, walk, eat, etc). She kept the mother number one priority the whole time and even said this is not about the support person. It was just her opinion. Here is my concern: when I experience physical pain around friends and family I tend to fight back the tears and be tough. This will cause me to tense up. The only people I am truly myself around with pain is my mom and Michael. I know this is not time to play "tough girl" and I would not do it intentionally but I just want to be as relaxed as possible. I normally listen to my gut and my gut is telling me to stick to my guns, but I am also hearing a VERY little voice saying "get some extra help"!

Let me know anything that helped you through your experience. I have opened the comment section so anyone can comment. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I can help! You helped me tremendously that I will forever be grateful for. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are going to be such a great Mommie! Here is my opinion about the Dula question. The loving bondness that you and Mike have together and the aid and guidance of the Lord, you will need no one else. The birthing classes are great and breathing and focal points help you get through the pain! You can do it!!! If you have any silly or crazy questions feel free to ask because I've done it with meds and without.
    Jamie Gatlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I had Sarah Blake I pretty much went without anything until I was pushing then they gave me the epidural (only b/c someone skipped me). Having your husband in the room is awesome but you get to a point where they are trying to help and you are in pain and so they aren't sure what to do. If you want to get a dula at least she might be able to instruct and tell your husband what to do so he doesn't feel like he is so far in left field. It gets to the point where just touching you hurts. Sorry for this and I don't want to scare you. But in the end you will be happy to have your son out of you so it doesn't matter who yall is in the room!! :)
    Good luck!
    Jan Voss Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley I guess you can move here the entire month of October! haha...love you and thanks for helping me get prepared for this. The birth of Cole is the most amazing thing I have ever seen!
    Thanks Jamie you are too sweet. This is definitely a God thing so I will probably continue to pray about it! :)
    Jan, no need to appologize. Like I said everyone's experience is different and since I haven't had one yet I want ALL the tips I can get! Your thoughts about the hubby was the same feeling our coach had. I can defintely see where they might not know what to do.
    Thanks for the feedback ladies (here and on FB)

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry...I'm a little late in responding. Not sure how much my opinion matters since I don't have children but you now me and I like to put my two cents worth in :)! I believe no matter what decision you make it will be the right one for you guys. I think since your mom will probably be in town. She can be with you...she can definately help out during labor and hopefully not the countless hours of contractions...and when it is time to actually deliver Isaiah it can be just the Mommy and Daddy to be in the room...You know you always have me here (that might make you cringe) ...I definately will be here for you whenever you need me. I can handle alot of pain so if you have to sqeeze my hand; I'm ready. Sorry I can't be more help...At least you laughed a little at the "loon"
    Karen

    ReplyDelete